New and need advice please

• 3 Replies

AMcgonigle

• Detector: None

New and need advice please

• on: November 15, 2017, 09:06 AM
Good day

I am new and was hoping to get a few questions answered by experienced individuals.

Is there terminology I should know to be able to communicate better on this forum?
I was thinking of getting a Garret AT Pro, is this a good or bad idea?
Where can we go to treasure hunt and which places are restricted?
Anywhere I could look up restricted areas and does it change from time to time?
Where can I get the equipment needed?
Which equipment would I need to start out?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Allan
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 10:23 AM by AMcgonigle »

Brendan

• Detector: EQUINOX 800 GARRETT AT Pro/ MINELAB X-TERRA 305 / GARRETT ACE 250

Re: New and need advice please

• on: November 15, 2017, 10:57 AM
Hi Allan and welcome to the forum. The AT pro is a great machine to hunt with. Its not a entry level machine so it will take time to learn it. I have a AT pro and only just started learning the machine properly and have found some great relics with it. Once you have mastered the machine you will really enjoy it. There is a place in Durban that you can contact called Doculam to find out more about the metal detectors and price ranges. The gear you will need is a good sharp spade and a pointer. The pointer will save you lots of time in locating the target once you have dug the hole. Always remember to close thise holes again :) As for restricted places, private property, heritage sites, historical sites those are all places to stay clear off. Private property you can only hunt if you have permission from the owner. I usually hunt open fields where there used to be alot of activities and public parks. (Unless there is a sign stating no metal detecting allowed but i have not seen this yet.) The guys also hunt beaches but i have not done this yet. Alot of research goes into finding old sites to hunt

Hope this helps abit.

Cheers and Happy Hunting :)

Paul van Heerden

• Detecting Noob
  • Detector: Garrett ATPro, Cscope CS4PI

• on: November 15, 2017, 03:51 PM
Hi Allan

Brendan answered most of your questions i think. You can click on the banner link at the bottom of this page to take you to the Doculam online shop. When checking out, you can use the Promo code TH05 to get 5% off the price.

http://www.metaldetectors-africa.com/shop/?orderby=popularity&__bcf_gupi=1DBCBD13106E0001D62018B56EE01C951DBCBD13106F0001A5812C8D6F1D1462

I hunt open fields, parks, and any private property i have gotten permission to hunt. I also have the AT Pro, and I really like it. You will soon learn how to use it properly. It is also waterproof to 3m, but don't try use it at the beach in salty water, as it will go crazy. If you want to detect wet beach areas, you will have to get an appropriate detector that can handle the salty conditions. Dry beach sand is fine to hunt though.
Paul

Chris Twine

• Founder
  • Detector: CTX3030, Equinox

• on: November 16, 2017, 11:29 AM
The AT Max has replaced the AT PRO model. Its just recently been released and as Paul mentioned earlier, use coupon code TH05 to get 5% off the online price.

http://www.metaldetectors-africa.com/product/garrett-max-sports-detector/

Otherwise keep an eye out for second hand AT Pro's, they do become available from time to time.

Welcome to the hobby!

Metal Detecting Forums South Africa

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 11:29 AM »