Doornkop battlefield

• 3 Replies

Openroad

• Detector: None

Doornkop battlefield

• on: January 12, 2017, 07:09 PM
Anyone familiar with the exact location of this site? Write ups describe two locations. One at Klipriviersberg, which I've scanned with no joy. And one at the Doornkop ridge by the old Harmony mine, near the Jameson raid stone incidentally. Hard to pin where the actual battle took place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Demian (Z-X-T)

• Keep calm and dig on!!!
  • To detect or not to detect, that is not a question
  • Detector: Teknetics G2 / 11" Elliptical Double D Coil, Deteknix Scuba Tector & Minelab Pro-Fin 25

Re: Doornkop battlefield

• on: March 06, 2018, 03:07 PM
Anyone familiar with the exact location of this site? Write ups describe two locations. One at Klipriviersberg, which I've scanned with no joy. And one at the Doornkop ridge by the old Harmony mine, near the Jameson raid stone incidentally. Hard to pin where the actual battle took place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The area is currently being submerged by the westward expansion of Soweto and the eastward growth of Krugersdorp's Kagiso township. Suburbs include Tshepisong, Leratong Village, Bambayi and Thulani.

George

• Detector: VLF

• on: March 07, 2018, 10:45 AM
I spend some time in the past getting the map overlay to work in Google earth.. It's sidewalks most of it, I do remember an open lot that looked like something but it might be covered by construction by now.

For some reason a wild goose chase has lead me to this are though.. as if there's something there to discover. Little unsafe looking though.

Demian (Z-X-T)

• Keep calm and dig on!!!
  • To detect or not to detect, that is not a question
  • Detector: Teknetics G2 / 11" Elliptical Double D Coil, Deteknix Scuba Tector & Minelab Pro-Fin 25

• on: March 07, 2018, 11:30 AM
I spend some time in the past getting the map overlay to work in Google earth.. It's sidewalks most of it, I do remember an open lot that looked like something but it might be covered by construction by now.

For some reason a wild goose chase has lead me to this are though.. as if there's something there to discover. Little unsafe looking though.

In general, 99% of folks are friendly and just inquisitive, it's the 1% that worries me  :-\ Maybe consider a group outing  ;)

Metal Detecting Forums South Africa

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 11:30 AM »