Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 149 times)

History Fan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 0
  • Detector: None yet
« on: February 07, 2018, 10:55 AM »
Hi all

I'm Tony from East London, History Fan, hoping to get into the Metal Detecting hobbie as soon as possible.

Been reading up quite a bit about the hobbie, looked at the finds, read the stories, and it just apeals to me.

I'm looking at investing in the Garret 250 from the start, I've read enough warnings about buying the cheapies being a mistake, so I'll definately avoid that.

I phoned around to various companies in East London to try and find a metal detector to hire for a few days, to check it out, to get the feel for it, to see if I can actually find something historical, but after many calls, in the end I was referred to this forum for help and advise.

I have access to various old and historical sites in Border, and was wondering if anybody here can guide me to get into metal detecting in this area.

Ideally I would like to link up with an experience detector, show me the equipment, explain to me the pitfalls, and maybe show me how it is done properly.

Maybe someone in the East London area is willing to rent / hire me a second hand detector, to go hunt for a few days first ?

If there is someone willing to promote the hobbie by helping me to get into the scene, I'd really appreciate it.

Looking forward to commeents and or connections.

Thanks and regards
Tony

Chris Twine

• Liked: 141
  • Founder
  • Detector: CTX3030, CZ21
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 10:11 PM »
Hi Tony

Welcome to the forums and to the hobby!

Hopefully someone here from East London can meet up and assist you...

To find something historical will be great, but dont expect it to happen on your first trip out. Some people go out and just find junk on their first trip and quickly give up. Persist through and when you find your first good find, thats when the hobby catches you forever :)

History Fan

• Liked: 0
  • Detector: None yet
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 07:23 AM »
Hi All,

I have found an instructor in East London thank you.

Been invited to see all his treasures and join on a hunt next weekend or so, to learn the ropes, and get the inside info, do's and dont's, product info, and tutoring !

Looking forward to posting pics of my finds in the months to come.

Regards
Tony

Chris Twine

• Liked: 141
  • Founder
  • Detector: CTX3030, CZ21
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 02:48 PM »
Excellent news, if you decide to buy the ACE 250, chat to me or visit my website www.metaldetecting.co.za. Cheers

Metal Detecting Forums South Africa

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 02:48 PM »