Author Topic: New to this  (Read 254 times)

Bravo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 0
New to this
« on: February 15, 2018, 10:56 AM »
Hi guys,
My name is Johan and I just registered on the site and very new to this but a keen interest in finding any old stuff, more specific, I have a keen interest in Boer war stuff. I would like to buy a good entry level metal detector but not sure what to look at. Time to do relic hunting is limited so overspending and under utilizing is an issue but also don't want to walk over something that could have been found. Any ideas on this will be appreciated or if anyone can advise, will also look at second hand detectors for sale.
I reside in Roodepoort, so anyone in the area who has been to sites around Roodepoort/Krugersdorp and country area plse tell whats to find around here.
Thx

Chris Twine

• Liked: 141
  • Founder
  • Detector: CTX3030, CZ21
Re: New to this
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 11:53 AM »
Hi Bravo

Welcome to the forums!

Have a look at the Garrett 300i as I think this will suit you perfectly for your relic needs.

https://metaldetecting.co.za/index.php?id_product=12&controller=product&search_query=300i&results=1

You don't need a waterproof machine that can handle salt water etc, so your costs are greatly reduced with the type of machine you need.

Clarence Florentino (Salvo)

• Liked: 27
  • Detector: Vaquero, Sea Hunter Mk II, X-Terra 705, Excal II, Nokta Fors Relic
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 01:20 PM »
Hi Bravo,
I still have a pretty decent relic detector that I'm not using (Tesoro Vaquero) - I mostly do wet beach hunting these days so I don't need it. It's not an entry level machine and has a slight learning curve - just search the forum for "Tesoro" and you will find it in the classifieds section. I may even be willing to move a bit on the price as well  ;D I love the machine but its not being used at all.

Bravo

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 06:29 PM »
Hi Bravo,
I still have a pretty decent relic detector that I'm not using (Tesoro Vaquero) - I mostly do wet beach hunting these days so I don't need it. It's not an entry level machine and has a slight learning curve - just search the forum for "Tesoro" and you will find it in the classifieds section. I may even be willing to move a bit on the price as well  ;D I love the machine but its not being used at all.
Hi Clarence,

Im new to this so have no idea how to select one detector from another specwise. Yours looks like a no nonsense durable machine, but how does it rate against the Garret 300 as proposed by Chris? I know its cheaper than a new 300, but is it as good, I have no idea. I see you are in Namibia, how to get it accross, it will have to go thru customs etc. Any ideas.
Regards
Johan

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Chris Twine

• Liked: 141
  • Founder
  • Detector: CTX3030, CZ21
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 04:46 AM »
Bravo, the only suggestion I can give is watch a few youtube clips of the different machines, see how they operate and see which one you think you will be most comfortable with.

Bravo

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 06:20 AM »
Bravo, the only suggestion I can give is watch a few youtube clips of the different machines, see how they operate and see which one you think you will be most comfortable with.
Thx Chris, will do that

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Metal Detecting Forums South Africa

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 06:20 AM »