Information and Requirements for Metal Detecting in Cyprus

• 5 Replies

Chris Twine

• Founder
  • Detector: CTX3030, Equinox
Please Note:

I have created this information as it is quite difficult in finding the required information regarding metal detecting in Cyprus and therefore have included all documents as best as possible. I cannot guarantee these are the latest documents, you will need to visit www.mcw.gov.cy/da for the latest information and legislation.

It is illegal to metal detect in Cyprus without a permit.

To obtain a permit, you need to fill out the application form together with a police clearance certificate to the address provided on the form (or via email to the Department of Antiquities)

Permit is valid for 5 years and then you will need to renew your permit.

Once you have a permit, you are only allowed to detect within designated areas specified (see attachment).

Failure to comply can see you facing hefty fines and jail sentence.

Please see information below from the Antiquities department of Cyprus for all information regarding permits and detecting in Cyprus.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 12:27 PM by Chris Twine »

Openroad

• Detector: None
Interesting. Do you know where one starts with permission to detect in SA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul van Heerden

• Detecting Noob
  • Detector: Garrett ATPro, Cscope CS4PI

Unless you are detecting private property or heritage sites, you do not need any special permission. Just get out there and swing
Paul

Openroad

Unless you are detecting private property or heritage sites, you do not need any special permission. Just get out there and swing
Haha! Yes, I am swinging! But what if you want to legitimately prospect battlefields etc?

Paul van Heerden

• Detecting Noob
  • Detector: Garrett ATPro, Cscope CS4PI

Haha! Yes, I am swinging! But what if you want to legitimately prospect battlefields etc?
Thats a different story. I don't think you will get permission there. Although if some battlefields are on private farms, you could get permission from the owner i think. Don't quote me on that, but i think thats how it would work
Paul

Openroad

Thats a different story. I don't think you will get permission there. Although if some battlefields are on private farms, you could get permission from the owner i think. Don't quote me on that, but i think thats how it would work
Ok thanks Paul. Will keep researching. I guess a good starting point is a list of SA heritage sites.

Metal Detecting Forums South Africa

Re: Information and Requirements for Metal Detecting in Cyprus
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 01:31 PM »